Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Poetry is beautiful

I just wanted to put down a few poems that I really like...

"Stanza's on Freedom" by James Russel Lowell (this is only the last paragraph...there are 4 in the whole poem, though)

They are slaves who fear to speak
For the fallen and the weak;
They are slaves who will not choose
Hatred, scoffing, and abuse,
Rather than in silence shrink
From the truth they needs must think;
They are slaves who dare not be
In the right with two or three.

Love this poem for it's stength and truth! It's speaking about going against slavery...

"Humility" by Robert Herrick

Humbe we must be, if to Heaven we go:
High is the roof there; but the gate is low:
When e're thou speak'st, look with a lowly eye:
Grace is increased by humility.

Love the short sweetness of this one.

"The Quarrel" by Eleanor Farjeon

I quarreled with my brother,
I don't know what about,
One thing led to another,
And somehow we fell out.
The start of it was slight,
The end of it was strong,
He said he was right,
I knew he was wrong!

We hated one another.
The afternoon turned black.
The suddenly my brother
Thumped me on the back,
And said, "Oh, come along!
We can't go on all night--
I was in the wrong."
So he was in the right.

This poem spoke to me the first time I read it! You can imagine, since I have two brothers :P

"The Loveliest of Trees" by A.E. Housman

Loveliest of trees, the cherry now
Is hung with bloom along the bough,
And stands about the woodland ride
Wearing white for Eastertide.

Now, of my threescore years and ten,
Twenty will not come again,
And take from seventy springs a score,
It only leaves me fifty more.

And since to look at things in bloom
Fifty springs are little room,
About the woodlands I will go
To see the cherry hung with snow.

Could you figure out how old the man was who wrote the poem? In the second stanza it says....Well, he's 20. I just liked the poem so I thought I'd put it on.

Okay, these are just a few poems that I liked from my reading in Literature class. I used to hate reading the poems, the stories were okay, but the poems were dreaded, but now I truly enjoy reading both. I think I can finally understand (some of) them and appretiate them (to a certain extent). I'm not crazy about poetry now, or anything like that, but I have always enjoyed reading things, and this is something I have added to my list.
I can really appretiate my schooling cirriculum now, because without A Beka, I don't know what I'd be learning. I know I probably wouldn't be reading poetry, and I probably wouldn't be taught how to enjoy, apprecitate, and glean off of it. Yet, I still can't understand Shakespeare without my teacher explaning it! haha.

Have to get back to other things now! Kimberly



No comments:

Post a Comment